CCJA’s core program groups students from all over the metro area in small (7-9 piece) jazz ensembles*, who are directed by professional musician mentors. These mentors are all accomplished professional musicians, most of whom also teach at the college level, and they have a wealth of real experience to share with students. These ensembles meet weekly (in 3 ten-week sessions per school year) to rehearse, play, and perform together as they study jazz improvisation, technique, style, theory, and history. Students are also given opportunities to compose and arrange for their groups.Over the past twelve years, the program has attracted amazing young players who have become integral players in their respective school groups, members of All-State Jazz Band, and recipients of impressive scholarships to major music programs across the country. Students have also connected with other players through CCJA and have formed working bands. To get a better idea of what a small group is like check out this video.
Who: Young musicians ages 11-18 who have been playing their instrument for at least a year. All instruments welcome.
WINTER 2017-2018 SESSION
Groups in Denver, Boulder, Highlands Ranch, Fort Collins, Frederick, and Longmont
- Denver, Boulder, HR, Ft Collins: Tuesdays Nov 7, 14, 28 Dec 5, 12, 19 Jan 9, 16, 23
- Frederick (Thunder Valley MS) Tuesday Evenings 6:30-8:30pm:
Jan 9, Jan 16, Jan 23, Jan 29*, Feb 5* (MON). Performance date/location TBA (the week of 2/5)
- Longmont (Altona MS) Tuesday Evenings 6:30-8:30pm: Jan 9, Jan 17* (WED), Jan 23, Jan 29*MON), Feb 5* (MON). Performance date/location TBA (the week of 2/5)
- Denver & Highlands Ranch Concert on Jan 31 at Dazzle in Denver
- Ft Collins Concert on 1/29
- Boulder Concert on 1/30 at Nissi’s
- Frederick and Longmont concerts TBD
SPRING 2018 SESSION
Groups in Denver, Boulder, Highlands Ranch, Fort Collins, and Aurora (Grandview HS)
- Tuesday Feb 13, 20, 27 March 6, 13, 20, 27 (Except Spring Break: Mar 13 for FoCo, Mar 20 for Highlands Ranch, Mar 27 for Denver, Boulder) April 3, 10, 17
- Fort Collins Concert on April 23
- Jazz-O-Rama Concert on April 24 for Denver/Boulder/Highlands Ranch/Grandview
*Priority registration for rhythm section players ends February 1st, 2018.
Groups meet at five different locations across the Front Range.
- University of Denver, Newman Center for the Performing Arts (Tuesday evenings from 7-9pm)
- Mountain Ridge Middle School in Highlands Ranch (Tuesday evenings from 7:00-9:00pm)
- CU – Boulder Macky Auditorium Building (Tuesday evenings from 7-9pm)
- Grandview High School in SE Aurora (Tuesday evenings from 7-9pm) Winter and Spring sessions only
- CSU, University Center for the Arts in Fort Collins (Tuesday evenings from 7-9pm)
- Altona Middle School, Longmont (Winter)
- Thunder Valley MS, Frederick (Winter)
Concerts are held at local jazz venues during the last week of each session.
Fees for each 10 week session are $315, or two payments of $157.50.** If you prefer to mail a check, choose the “invoice” payment option at the end of the registration process and mail to CCJA, 4505 W 36th Ave Denver, CO 80212. We offer other some need-based scholarships, so please let us know if you are interested in applying for one.
**Longmont and Frederick session is shorter, tuition is $160.
PAYMENT POLICY: At least half of the tuition for each session must be paid by the first rehearsal of each session. If you choose to pay half, the balance must be paid by the 5th rehearsal. 2) If you choose to drop out during a session, you are still responsible for the full tuition amount. We are not able to give refunds. (If you find another student to take your place, or sub for you occasionally, you can ask them to reimburse you.)
CCJA is a non-profit that depends on both tuition and fundraising for space rental, instructors, music, concerts, insurance and administrative costs. We plan the number of groups and instructors based on the number of students who register. Regardless of whether each student is at a rehearsal or not, our costs remain the same.
How to get started:
If you are interested in registering for a CCJA program, please follow the links below with our various locations:
When you register, an automatic receipt will be sent to the email address you provide for the student. Later on, both parents and students will receive a registration confirmation email with more information. Sometimes there are waiting lists for certain instruments, and auditions are then held. Questions? Call Paul Romaine at 720-201-6885 .
If there are more applicants for rhythm section players than there are spots at the end of the registration period for each session, auditions will be held. WE WILL LET YOU KNOW WHETHER OR NOT YOU WILL NEED TO AUDITION. For Audition Requirements, please go here.